Donna Marie (Voight) Sprowls
“Service – A Way of Life”
Donna Marie (Voight) Sprowls, age 79, of Mechanicsburg passed away at The Gardens at Camp Hill on Thursday, December 3, 2020. Donna was born on Thursday, September 11, 1941, at Harrisburg Hospital to the late Lawrence Henry Voight and May (Ireland) Voight. In addition to her parents, Donna is preceded in death by her son, Baby Boy Sprowls.
Donna’s survivors include her loving husband of 56 years, Robert “Bob” Lee Sprowls who she married on October 17, 1964; her two sons: Erich L. Sprowls and his wife, Kristen, of Mechanicsburg, Kurt R. Sprowls of Mechanicsburg; her two granddaughters, Noelle and Rylee May; and her brother, Richter L. Voight of Camp Hill.
Donna graduated from Mechanicsburg High School as part of the class of 1959 and from Harrisburg Area Community College with her Associates Degree in Criminal Justice. Immediately following high school, she was employed by the late Jim Smith in the Communications and News Room Division of Bell Telephone Pennsylvania. Donna enjoyed participating in the Mechanicsburg Alumni Association meetings and reunions. She loved spending summer vacations with her family on Long Beach Island, New Jersey and serving as a Fun and Fitness Cruise Coordinator and fitness teacher during 18 cruises throughout the Caribbean. Donna enjoyed her many trips to Germany, Austria, Mexico and Hawaii all with her husband, Bob.
Throughout her life, Donna was active in huge number of organizations where she served in various positions over the years. She was recognized numerous times for her significant contributions and achievements. In 1976, Donna was honored by the Junior Woman’s Club of Mechanicsburg for her contributions to and leadership of the club. She was presented with a plaque upon which was inscribed the club’s motto, “Service – A Way of Life”. Donna lived her life as a proud wife, mother, grandmother, advocate, leader and supporter of her family, community and causes close to her heart. Her many activities included:
* Past President of the Junior Women’s Club of Mechanicsburg
* Mechanicsburg Library supporting member and volunteer
* Mechanicsburg Museum Association supporting member and volunteer
* Bell Telephone Pioneers member and newsletter contributor
* American Red Cross Capital Region Chapter, Volunteer (Aquatics) and steering committee member
* Trinity Lutheran Church, Camp Hill Council Member and Parish Ministry Chair. Donna was parishioner since 1963. Donna also served as a Communion Assistant and Lector for many years.
* Juvenile Justice Center (JJC) Advocate/Lobbyist. During the Thornburgh Administration, Donna shepherded some of the first in the nation legislation that improved the lives of at risk youth in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania court system.
* Blue Moon Cruisers car club member which was a favorite activity Donna enjoyed with her husband, Bob
* Filbert Street Elementary School PTO President
* Filbert Street Elementary School after school activities school founder and coordinator. Students benefited from additional enrichment classes after school, including art classes, computer instruction (1985), and the first elementary cross-country style-running program (1984).
* Mechanicsburg Area Senior High School Cross Country, Swimming & Diving, and Track & Field Booster Club President
* Mechanicsburg Area Senior High School Principal’s Advisory Council Member
* Mechanicsburg Middle School (Elmwood) Principal’s Advisory Council Member
* Navy Swim Club parent board President
* Mechanicsburg Aquatic Club parent board President
* Central Penn Aquatic League Secretary
* Assistant Coach for the Mechanicsburg Swim Club, Latshmere Swim Club and Collegiate Aquatics
* Mechanicsburg Area Parks & Recreation learn to swim coordinator and lifeguard instructor. Donna coordinated one of the largest LTS programs in the Capital Region, guiding a volunteer staff and teaching nearly 200 children each summer from the late 1980s to the early 2000s.
* Latshmere Swim Club learn to swim coordinator
* PIAA swimming & diving official with the Harrisburg Chapter
* Country Meadows of Camp Hill Activity Coordinator and volunteer
* Country Meadows of Hershey Aquatics fitness instructor
* LA Fitness of Camp Hill Aquatics fitness instructor
* Alzheimer’s Association of Harrisburg support group facilitator at Trinity Lutheran Church, Camp Hill
All are welcome to join Donna’s family on Monday, December 7, 2020, for her viewing from 10:30 a.m. until 11:15 a.m. at Buhrig Funeral Home & Crematory, 37 East Main Street, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055; and, via internet or telephone, for her virtual gathering from 11:15 a.m. until time of virtual viewing at 11:30 a.m. until time of service at 11:45 a.m. with Celebrant Patricia Vogl officiating. Private burial will be in Rolling Green Cemetery in Camp Hill.
The family sends their most heartfelt thanks to the entire team at Compassionate Care Hospice who assisted Donna during 2020 and to all of the hard working employees at The Gardens at Camp Hill who so lovingly cared for Donna during her illness.
Contributions in celebration of Donna’s life can be made to the Mechanicsburg Area Parks & Recreation, 1731 South York Street, Mechanicsburg, PA 17055, (717) 691-4572; or the Humane Society of the Harrisburg Area, 7790 Grayson Road, Harrisburg, PA 17111-5415, http://www.HumaneSocietyHbg.org/Get-Involved/Donate.
Donna’s family has entrusted her care to Buhrig Funeral Home & Crematory in Mechanicsburg, (717) 766-3421. Read Donna’s full obituary, view her picture and memorial video, offer condolences and sympathy, share stories and memories, upload photographs and videos, light a candle and sign her official guest book by visiting Buhrig.com
Virtual Gathering via Video Chat
Family and friends are welcome to join Donna's family via video chat or telephone on Monday, December 7, 2020, beginning at approximately 11:15 a.m. Eastern Standard Time.
We use Zoom for internet video chat and telephone conference calling. There is no charge for you to participate. Simply click on the link below or dial the telephone number below to be connected to the event.
Join from PC, Mac, iOS or Android: https://us02web.zoom.us/j/87347795131? with passcode 3421
Join by telephone: 415-762-9988 or 646-568-7788 and enter meeting number 873 4779 5131 with passcode 3421
By participating in chat you agree to our “Internet Video Chat & Telephone Chat Policies” which can be found at www.Buhrig.com/Privacy-Policy